Wednesday, August 3, 2005

oligopistos

According to the lexicon at studylight.org, littlefaith connotes too little faith. Jesus seems to use it as a term of endearment if you look at a list of times Jesus uses the word as oligopistos* has in this post.

oligopistos*: 01/01/2004 - 01/31/2004:

"In Spanish, there is a word pobrecito, or poor little one, or poor little baby. It is a term of affection, a term of endearment. I have been called it on more than one occasion when I was whining more than I should. There isn't a hint of derision or condescension in it. It is a loving manner in which a parent addresses a fumbling child, or a loved one expresses dramatically exagerrated pity.

This is what I hear in oligopistos. This is how I imagine the Father calls me.

When I see Jesus using this word in this Matthew, I don't see him making a mockery of his disciples. I don't see him hand on his hips, finger-shaking, scolding the bad boys. I don't see him bringing a hammer-stroke of judgment, nor bringing out the dunce caps of humiliation. I see more a gesture of deep affection: 'Oh pobrecitos, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's going to be okay. Let me show you how.'"

Bob Schlenker in his, Keys to Developing a Hearing Ear - Part III Appendix of Idiomatic Usages affirms that jesus is turning a phrase.

No comments: