Wednesday, August 3, 2005

The nature of Faith

Dylan's lectionary blog: "That trust, that willingness to risk stepping outside the boat, is how I think of faith. And Peter has that. So why does Jesus address him as 'you of little faith'? Not because of the faith he lacks, but because of the faith he has. Peter has a little faith. Jesus addresses his followers as people of 'little faith' repeatedly in Matthew's gospel (e.g., Matthew 6:30, 8:26, 14:31, 16:8, and 17:20), but following the last of those, he says, 'if you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you' (Matthew 17:20)."

This is a nice reading... I wonder if it stands up to further exegesis. I hope so, I like the idea of a Jesus not commending me for my feble attempts at faith. But then I would have read those statements wrong all my life. I'm sure that Dylan has done her homework, I'll just have to see if I can retrace her steps.

No comments: