Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Luke's King (Proper C29)

Did you notice that this conversation with the thief is unique to Luke? I took a look at the Lukan context and found some other distinctions. Luke is the only one to show Pilot publicly declaring his innocence. Three times in fact he comes back trying to understand why this innocent is before him.

Luke defends the innocence of Christ, that his execution was unjust. In the same breath he is defending the legitimacy of the church. *

Also in Luke there is a stress on the immediacy of the Kingdom. Jesus said to the thief, "Today you will be with me in paradise." When is the Kingdom realized? Was it then when Jesus sacrificed himself ushering in a new covenant? Was it when he was born bearing in his flesh the very kingdom of God? Will it be in the end when he finally has dominion over all?

I say YES! The one you identify with no doubt has to do with your theology. I guess, being a postmodern child, I hungrily swallow all the truth of the theologian but spit out the conclusions which are at odds. Truly all these can be true at the same time, even in paradoxical harmony.

What does it mean for us? The Kingdom of God is near! It is in us, around us, here for ages, and yet to come. Oh God this is exciting. King of kings and all creation set us to awe again-to bow before you as loyal serfs. How my heart yearns with in me. My throat tightens, my eyes well with tears, my lips smile at the warmth in my longing heart!

No comments: