Monday, November 15, 2004

Christ the King of me? (Proper C29)

What does it mean that Christ is the King in my life? Is his kingdom national? Is it a religious kingdom? Or is it, as Paul Nuechterlein suggests, cultural? Culture makes sense to me, even in the days of kings and vassals it was the culture their reign produced that was at odds with the kingdom of God. Even in the days of Pharisees or Idolaters, it was the culture that their concepts of gods and appeasement created that was at odds with the kingdom of God. Over and above this ruling elite with their ability to decree the culture of the rest stands Christ. Over and above it all.

What does this mean to me? My fear is that I reduce the reign of Christ in my life to a "Christian subculture." That would put me in the place of a religious elite at odds again with the Kingdom. Christ has as little to do with the subculture we Christians retreat to, as he has to do with Emperor worship, or for that mater American Idol worship.

With these questions in mind I look to this weeks texts. "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! says the LORD." Sounds like those elite who lead the people away from the Kingdom, drawing them to a culture of their own making.

Christ stands above culture ruling us by Divine nature.

From with in our kingdoms and cultures Christ calls us to himself. The kingdoms of men are not fortified from the presence of Christ. Just as he could reconcile Jews, just as he welcomed the thief who was receiving justice from the Roman Empire, so he can work with in our twisted culture to bring us into his Righteous Kingdom!

He is Jehovah Tsidkanu, God our Righteousness!

No comments: