Sunday, June 25, 2006

Freindship

Paul urges the Corinthians to continue in brotherly love.
“Now as you excel in everything--in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in utmost eagerness, and in our love for you--so we want you to excel also in this generous undertaking. I do not say this as a command, but I am testing the genuineness of your love against the earnestness of others.”

For the Corinthians this love took on a very practical form, they gave to supply the needs of poorer, struggling brothers. Their love was in fact their action.

For David his love for Jonathan and his honor for his king are expressed in more esoteric ways. He intones his lament searching the very real and very raw love in his heart.

I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan; greatly beloved were you to me; your love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

The psalmist reminds us of the friend we have in despair saying, “Out of the depths I cry to you,” and “O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is great power to redeem.”

No comments: