Monday, May 1, 2006

The Good Name of the Good Shepherd

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.


We are into the forth week and now we reflect on what was done Good Friday. Jesus tells us that he is the good shepherd and he lays down his life for his friends. We are reminded that he laid it down. In what he has done, he has made us a flock – his flock – called by his name, we know him. One fold, one shepherd.

“For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own
accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father."

The disciples come to know the power of the life laid down. Peter proclaims to the rules that “this man is standing before you in good health by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead.” There is no other name.

John pleads with the church. How often from the pulpit do we plead the same? Love each other! Lay down your lives for each other! Act! “Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action.”
“And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son
Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.”
To own his name – that saving name, that name unmatched, the name of our good shepherd – we must love one another as he has commanded us.

No comments: