Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Starting with Genesis: Bound to God. (Proper A8)

Keywords: Present, Bound

In Jewish tradition the story of Abraham and Isaac is called simply the binding. It is the story of God's provision even in the face of death, defeat and a silent God that is echoed by the psalm.

Remembering the image of Isaac bound in ropes, presented before God as an offering, let us hear Paul.

Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

I hear the idea of presenting your self in Abraham's language. Three times he presents himself with the word Hinneh which translates "here am I." The richness of this word captured my imagination ever since my college roommate told me about it. He was taking Hebrew. It caries with it connotations of, behold I am here! You have my attention! Perhaps even, "I'm Yours." Hinneh!

No comments: