Sunday, May 15, 2005

Theocentric (Trinity A)

rIn college one of my professors said something that resonated with me, but I still am trying to figure out what it means. “We need to get back to a Theocentric theology.” How does that differ from our fiercely Christocentric theology?

The Spirit shows the Son, the Son reveals the Father. Is the Father to be the center of our focus and worship? The thought hit me recently that, as Pentecostals, we mean Theocentric worship should be directed at the fullness of the Godhead. (Let us never forget the Holy Spirit ;)
I can remember sitting at the altar at camp when I was nine. I was seeking and praising God. I found myself making sure to address each member of the Trinity so none of them felt left out. It hit me even then how silly that was. They are one! Incidentally that was the night I was first baptized in the Spirit, but it wasn’t just him I was looking for. Even at nine, I wanted the fullness of the Godhead.

No comments: