Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Thoughts on fishing for men

So often our idea of fishing for men involves the entrapment of lures. The kind of fishing the disciples were used to was the harvesting of a ripe sea.

Fishing is essentially pulling the fish out of the water and killing them. Fishing for men involves throwing them into water and killing them.

I know my thoughts here have little to do with what the disciples heard from Jesus, but my own concepts need to be challenged sometimes. The fishing for men is like a mixing of metaphors anyway with this week's emphasis on light. I so like the imagery of gazing at the Lord, my light and my salvation, that I'll probably focus on that this week.

Then again, I betray my aversion to my evangelical roots of lures and worms. I like to focus on growth in intimacy… the effect the light has on a soul. But still there is the ripe sea teaming with those who walk in darkness.

Lord I pray that the light in my soul will shine, and I will not keep it bottled in a selfish desire to keep you to myself. Remind me that in spreading the light, my intimacy with you does not decrease, but rather I learn to find you in greater measure.

No comments: