Thursday, January 6, 2005

A Baptism of Death (Baptism of Christ A)

Today my thoughts are on the Tsunami.


The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.
The voice of the LORD is powerful;
the voice of the LORD is majestic
.

My soul cries two responses as I meditate on the Tsunami. I hope the first is common for those who belong to Christ: compassion and sorrow. The second response I have shuddered under is the transcendent majesty of God.

Storms have always spoken to me of the power and bigness of God. I have always enjoyed sitting in a safe place and watching lightening flash. I have no qualms seeing God's hand in the devastation. Because, I think, I don't try to say why he does what he does.

Is it Judgment? Is it some great purpose? No, that is trite. It is God, the LORD. And I fall on my face and worship.

Nathan Nettleton preached a sermon last Sunday that I think I will modify for this week. One of the things he said is,

"Perhaps when water is flung at us in a few minutes to remind us of our identity as those who have been buried in the deep waters of death with Christ perhaps this week we'll have a little more sense of what a serious matter it isto go under the deep waters of death."

No comments: