Friday, November 26, 2004

The onion of my sermon. (Advent A1)

I want my sermons to be multi layered. I want them to reach people with the depths of Christ regardless of where they are in their development. I want it to reach kids and adults alike with a vision that will inspire them to true worship. And I want it to be seamless.

Is that too much to ask?

Well, yes. If I ever master it I will have to turn to teaching the method because it will have to be a marvel.

For kids, I want my message to be one- a one-point sermon. Isn't that the bugger? So often my three points could be three sermons.

This week what is the point? I'm going with: We have a great hope, so we should live awake in the light of that hope. I think I am going to use Christmas lights and the image of waiting for Christmas morning as illustrations.

Now the trick will be to so fully integrate the illustration into the sermon that is part of the truth, not some aside for the kids. I want to engage the kids, and use them to minister to the rest with out loosing them or disjointing the message. Ah…

What of this amazing hope we have? The night will end! And at the end, a joy bigger than any Christmas present, or rather the first and the last Christmas present, the very presence of Christ! What a fun message to preach.

No comments: